Saturday, April 7, 2012

Back Benchers- Embracing the Dark side of Force

From ever since I can remember, I have been sitting on the very front benches of the class; right from kg, and through my college days.

Though I believe the practice must have started off as a consequence of my less than average height and poor eye-sight; the fact remains that the front benches have been the most prominent of the many constants of my student life.

Anyone who has had the fortune, or rather lack of it, of sitting on the front benches, might concur with me, that doing so requires the rare combination of concentration, stamina and patience.

Concentration and unwavering attention, for when you find the topic interesting enough; patience to still be attentive towards a topic, that in your personal opinion, the world could better do without. And above all, stamina, not to inadvertently tear away your mouth in a silent roar (yes, I mean yawn) when the speaker is standing right in front of you.

If not for these virtues, sitting on the front benches is pretty much a suicide mission, best left to trained professionals or adrenalin junkies.

So, having not had the experience of ever having sat on the back benches, I was in a bit of a fix when during one of the Soft-skills training sessions that I have at work, I found all the rows occupied, except for the very last one. For a few seconds, I just stood at the entrance, as if somehow people at the front would start vanishing into thin air to make place for me.

Now that I think about it, I must have looked awfully stupid doing that.

Well, so I reached at the back of the room and occupied a seat. And the class began.


Now, people who generally sit at the front have a natural tendency to look at the speaker’s or teacher’s face all the time in order to be in the loop about what’s exactly going on. I admit, that we do not derive or interpret anything extra from their faces, after all they do not come with information painted on their faces, we still hear the same thing as everyone else; nevertheless it is a common practice among my kind.

So, here I was, all restless. I could only hear the trainer, not look at her, and that was new. It was as if I could not understand what was going on out there. I tried looking above all those heads in front of me, but all that was futile. Finally, accepting defeat, I looked at my sides. I found people sitting comfortably, giving me puzzled looks. With my antiques, I was the crazy one here.

So, having failed in my attempts at deciphering what was going on at the front, I started studying my errr... surroundings. The people around me were either busy with their mobiles, talking to each other, or plain sleeping. Just then, I received an sms from my cousin. Emboldened by my surroundings, I read the message and had a good laugh, something I couldn't even imagine doing sitting on the front benches. A mysterious sense of power coursed through me. I had become formidable, I could do anything as I pleased, and the feeling was very addictive.

I felt like I was the Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars, being lured by the Dark side of the Force. And it sure had its charms. I felt a soothing sense of complacency. Whatever was happening at the front seemed irrelevant. I could do absolutely anything. In here, everyone was omnipotent.

Just then, the trainer asked some question to the guy sitting at the far back corner.

“So, what do you mean by Athos, Arthos, and Pathos?”

What! Are they discussing about The Three Musketeers? I am surely missing something here.

The guy in question, mumbled something out, I don’t believe even he knew what exactly he said there.

The trainer moved to the next one in the row.

“Ethos is sticking to one’s ethics even in the face of adversities...” This one was literally overflowing with confidence. He went on and on, until the trainer made him stop, apparently he was wide off target back there. She moved on to the guy sitting next to me. This one very confidently asked her to repeat the question.

Now it was my turn. I braced myself for the inevitable.

But it never came. She moved on to the guy on my other side. Apparently it was just a surprise check, and I, by virtue of my 'front-benching' wasn't one of the usual suspects.

And that is when I realised; I was sitting in the esteemed company of battle hardened warriors, who had mastered this art of deception over years. I was no match to them.

Suddenly, the Dark side started looking much more sinister. I realised where I truly belonged. And that is how, just as the Dark side was about to take me into its fold; I turned back and returned to the Light...

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I was always a front bencher as well, but only till high school. When I came to college the classes were huge and I realized that I would have to compromise with hurting my neck if I still wanted the title of a front bencher. So I was pretty much a back bencher throughout my time in college. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... Its nice to find a fellow front-bencher :D

      Delete
  2. Actually, its the front benchers who are the safest. The prof is so busy focusing on the back benchers to ensure they don't play hanky panky, they forget to notice the front. Besides, its the back benchers who are always picked on for answering questions, as the profs all think they're the non-serious ones!!

    ReplyDelete

Demonizing Trump may turn him into a Messiah

I remember the time around 2015 when Trump's name first came up. Until then, many of us in the rest of the world could barely register h...