Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Government vs Ice Cream

Until this day, I believed my mother had assumed the supreme authority of reprimanding me for eating Ice cream (for obvious reasons). 

However, with the Home Minister of India Mr. Chidambaram also finding fault with the said practice, I really am starting to reconsider my eating habits, in case some day "The powers that be" decide to make eating ice cream into a punishable offence.

Jokes aside, the logic behind this statement seems a bit shaky. I mean, I am not allowed to complain of soaring prices just because I sometimes end up eating ice cream or perhaps drinking "drinkable" Drinking water.

As for the ice cream, I fear the best way to make people spend on staples such as rice and wheat instead of ice cream would be to ban its production and sale. However, I feel a certain bubbly girl who makes her living out of selling these "Utterly Delicious" delights, might be furious if ever such a decision were taken. 

But before resorting to any such step, I would request the Home Minister to improve the Electricity situation in the country. A lot of the people resort to indulging in this audacious delight only to beat the heat in the summers in the absence of electricity. But perhaps that may eventually lead to reprimanding us for using Air Conditioners, so don't mind what I just said.

As for the water Sir, the only alternative I have to Bottled water is the one supplied by our respective Municipal Corporations, if supplied at all. 

But being of weak heart, I am a bit doubtful of the quality of the "cheap water" supplied by you and terribly afraid of contracting a water-borne disease.

Again, I could go to some Government Hospital for "cheap treatment", but being apprehensive of the services there, if at all sufficiently available, I would rather go to a private clinic.

So, when it comes to choosing between a "Rs. 15 bottle of water" and the doctor's fee at a private clinic, I would easily prefer the former, for at the end of the day, I still have to afford my bowl of Rice!

In the end, to rest my case Mr. Home Minister, you can mess with anyone but kids. They won't understand whatever Advanced Economics you think are at work here (I doubt anyone else would).

Kids only understand that Ice Cream tastes "AWESOME" and that's the end of the argument. Anyone who claims to the contrary or tries to snatch it away from them is the Voldemort of their sweet little world.

Being a kid at heart myself, I couldn't agree more!

So, step back and rethink before you are disarmed by a collective EXPELLIARMUS!!

8 comments:

  1. even i love ice cream. lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its delicious...How can one make it look like evil. If there were a political party that had an ice cream for a symbol, who wouldn't vote for it ??? :P

      Delete
  2. you know, i hate paying taxes.... it pinches me... it all goes into the coffers on these corrupt politicians ... they rob the common man :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they do. We should all have Swiss bank accounts as I once believed (http://payojism.blogspot.in/2011/01/swiss-account-anyone.html). Just kidding.

      Yes, I just started earning, and I share your pinches. But well, don't want to go to jail, so have to pay them...

      Delete
  3. Ice cream and bottled water is consumed by a very small percentage of population and again out of this small percentage the bulk belongs to rich class including the politicians, bureaucrats, industrialists and so on. Whereas rice and wheat are consumed by all people alike. All 120 crore plus people eat rice or wheat 24×7 all 365 days of the year while ice cream is eaten occasionally by select few. So hope Mr. Home Minister you understood why there is a huge public outcry when the prices of wheat and rice are raised even by a rupee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that is why I decided to write this article in the first place. They make scores of misleading statements on a daily basis. In this case, Mr. Chidamabaram was chiding those who are more vociferous, the educated and empowered middle class, that can generally absorb a price rise, while everyone including him knows who really is at loss because of price rise.

      It was like, when they who suffer are silent, why are you who can "get by" making a ruckus!

      He may not realise it, but when they increase prices, it does affect everyone, some manage by making changes to various degrees to stay alive, others have to cut down at the food itself, while a large populace goes to work or sleep on an empty stomach...

      Delete
  4. awesome going payoj keep It up :-)

    ReplyDelete

Demonizing Trump may turn him into a Messiah

I remember the time around 2015 when Trump's name first came up. Until then, many of us in the rest of the world could barely register h...